Forsyth County social distancing changes and online services

Forsyth County Government is taking actions to practice social distancing in response to CDC recommendations on novel coronavirus (COVID-19). All county departments remain open to serve the public, but residents are encouraged to use the county’s online services, found at, or call to see if their needs can be met without coming to a county office. Here are changes individual departments are making and online resources they have for the public:

Animal Services

Beginning Tuesday, March 24, the Forsyth Humane Society is requiring appointments for all transactions. Please call the Country Club location at (336) 721-1303 if you are interested in adopting a pet. Please call the University North location at (336) 955-1750 to arrange a foster pick up, reclaim a pet or surrender an animal.

If you are looking for a lost pet, please check the Forsyth Humane Society’s website and view the stray animals. If you believe you see your lost animal, call to make an appointment.

For licensing payments, you can find those forms here. Please submit the forms with payment by mail or wait until Animal Services is able to resume normal operations to make your payment. During this period, Animal Services will be very lenient on late or unpaid County Pet Licenses.

N.C. Cooperative Extension

N.C. Cooperative Extension’s building is no longer open to the public. Agents and staff are still providing advice, plant, weed, and insect identification via phone and email. Informational sessions are also being held via online platforms. You can find those events on our calendar To contact the N.C. Cooperative Extension staff, please visit and contact the appropriate agent.

Community and Economic Development

Most Community and Economic Development staff are working from home. Those applying for housing rehabilitation, homeownership, and Small Business IDA programs should call 336-703-2680 so staff can help direct them on how to apply online. For those without internet access, staff can mail them the application form.

County Commissioners

The County Commissioners Briefing Session on March 26 at 2 p.m. will be conducted remotely. There will be no place where members of the public can physically attend the meeting. It will be broadcast live at 2 p.m. on WSTV 13. You will be able to view it later that day here.


The Forsyth County Board of Elections will re-open the office to the general public beginning Monday, May 11, at 8 a.m. As part of Forsyth County’s efforts to take preventative steps to protect the health and safety of employees and the public, Elections staff will be wearing masks and gloves when assisting customers. Voters coming into our office are asked to respect the 6 feet distancing mark placed on the floor in front of the counter to prevent the potential spread of COVID-19. For additional information. please call (336) 703-2800, email or visit

Environmental Assistance and Protection

The office’s sale of radon kits is temporarily discontinued, but staff can help citizens identify ways to order them online if they call the office at (336) 703-2440.

Environmental Assistance and Protection pollen sampling has been suspended indefinitely, but a daily forecast is being posted on and on Facebook and Twitter by Forsyth Pollen until operations can return to normal. EAP is using 20 years worth of data to create a good baseline for what is normal this time of year coupled with both weather and pollen forecasting experience and regional observations to create a same day forecast that should give a rough estimate of pollen levels in the Triad.

We request that all potential applicants for asbestos demolition/renovation permits call the office instead of visiting in person. All regulatory reporting should be submitted to the agency electronically via email.


Fire code inspections are now restricted to construction enforcement, permits, imminent hazard inspections, and inspections that can be done observing the CDC recommendations.

General Services

All pick-ups for Hall of Justice ID Badges will be suspended until further notice.

Human Resources

County employment opportunities are listed online here and applications are only accepted online. For more information, call 336-703-2400.


Libraries are closed to the public starting at 6 p.m.on March 17. Anyone with a valid Forsyth County Public Library card can reserve books and audiovisual materials online at or by calling their local branch for later pickup in front of each library.

The library is allowing customers to keep checked out books and materials through May 15. Fines on DVDs are waived until May 25. Books and materials may be returned at each branch’s exterior book return.

You can access the Forsyth County Public Library’s online publications here. The main library number is 336-703-BOOK (2665).

Parks and Recreation

Our parks remain open and are operating on a normal schedule, but the following are now closed: playgrounds, basketball courts, volleyball courts and boat rentals. Groups larger than 10 people are not allowed, and park visitors must maintain proper social distancing.

The Champions Room Grill at the Tanglewood Clubhouse is now takeout only. You can make reservations for parks facilities here or call the Parks office (336) 703-2500. Tanglewood Park can be reached at (336) 703-6400 and its site is

The Manor House at Tanglewood Park is only taking reservations over the phone for now in order to provide the necessary protective measures for the guest. The number for reservations is 336-703-6494.

Due to COVID-19, the Tanglewood Pool operation has been suspended until further notice.

Public Health

Forsyth County Public Health has a COVID-19 hotline, 336-582-0800, to answer the public's questions about the virus.

WIC- All in-person WIC classes and Nutrition education have been suspended Participants are encouraged to access online classes via Those without internet access should call the WIC office at 336-703-3333 to request a live class over the phone. Please be prepared to confirm your telephone number and address.

Physical presence of babies under 2 months of age has been temporarily waived, so they are not required to come to the office. WIC employees will still need all the information from the guardian.

All weight checks can be delayed by one month and benefits can be loaded without you having to come to the office. Remember to call and let the WIC office know if you cannot make your next appointment.

Environmental Health- Environmental Health encourages all customers to mail completed applications, along with payment by check, to Forsyth County Department of Public Health, 799 Highland Avenue, Winston Salem, NC 27101.

Complete Onsite Water and Wastewater related material will be put in queue as of the postmark date. If material is incomplete then the entire package, including payment, will be returned.

If you are uncertain as to the best way to deliver material, please call 336-703-3225 for guidance.

Dental Clinic- The Cleveland Avenue Dental Clinic is postponing non-urgent, elective treatments and is only taking emergency visits. Elective treatments and immunocompromised patients are being rescheduled. The clinic can be reached at 336-703-3090.

Restaurant Inspections- Following the latest direction from NC DHHS, Forsyth County Public Health has transitioned from routine inspections of restaurants and bars to visiting establishments that are continuing to operate for the purpose of providing education and guidance. Complaint inspections will continue as usual.

Vital Records- Birth Certificates for Home Births and Affidavits are suspending appointments until further notice. Vital Records can be reached at 336-703-3108 for further questions.

The Public Health Department can be reached at 336-703-3100.

Register of Deeds

The office will continue to operate under normal business hours, but with some changes to help minimize person-to-person interaction. Couples looking to obtain a Marriage License need to make an appointment by calling 336-703-2700, and only parties to the marriage and interpreters should come into the office to complete the process. Only the requesting party for a Marriage License copy should come to the office. Customers are encouraged to order or apply for Marriage Licenses online at

Out-of-County Birth requests, (EBRS) Amendments and Legitimations will be by appointment from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Documentation and proofs must be pre-approved.This may require more than one appointment.

The office will no longer offer Thank-A-Veteran Discount cards at this time.

Sheriff’s Office

The Sheriff’s Office has made changes at the Forsyth County Detention Center, including restricting public visitation except for attorneys, suspending all inmate programs, and checking detention staff and new arrestees for fever and signs of respiratory distress. The Sheriff’s Office number is 336-917-7001.

The Sheriff's Office will no longer be performing fingerprinting services until further notice. The office is still processing handgun permits, including concealed handgun permits (and will only perform fingerprint services for those permits).

Social Services

Effective Monday, April 6, 2020, the Department of Social Services will be closed to the public. The entryway will have paper applications for services available for pick-up and drop off as well as the ability to drop off a message/change request/call back request. Anyone needing to check on mail received at PO Box 999 will be able to do so between 8:30-9:30 am Monday through Friday only. Please read below for instructions on specific programs.

Many service lines are implementing modifications to processes to allow the public to access information and services through alternative means (when possible):

  • All Medicaid and Food and Nutrition Services Applicants can apply on-line at, by mail, by phone at 336-703-3800, or by picking up and dropping off paper applications at the building entrance. If you apply online, you may be able to upload the verifications we need to this system. Once we receive your application a caseworker will follow-up with you within 1 business day to gather the information for your household and provide further verification instructions.
  • If you already have active Medicaid, Medicaid Transportation or Food and Nutrition Services and you need to report a change, submit documentation, or have questions concerning your active case, you may call (336) 703-3800, or send a fax to 336-727-2842 or 336-727-3130, or send an email to The Adult Medicaid fax number is 336-727-8491.
  • All Child Support customers may call 1-800-992-9457 for case-related information, status of court cases, update case information, and give information. Customers may also call 336-703-3801 for case information, court information, update the case, and to have a message sent to their caseworker. To access case information, apply for Child Support, and access resources online at
  • All NC Health Choice Fee payments, Health Care for the Working Disabled Fee payments, Program Integrity (Fraud) repayments, or Child Support Application Fees can be made via mail-in of a Check, Money Order or Certified Check. Please mail all payments to: Forsyth County Department of Social Services, 741 Highland Ave., Winston-Salem, NC 27101
  • For Assistance or Questions regarding any Adult Services, please contact the office at 336-703-3501

Protective Services

Adult Protective Services - To report instances of abuse, neglect or exploitation of adults 18 years of age and older, please call 336-703-3503.

Adult Care Facility Complaints - Please call 336-703-3501 to make any complaints regarding Assisted Living Facilities.

Child Protective Services (CPS) - Our CPS Intake hotline is available 24-hours per day, 7 days per week. If you suspect abuse or neglect, please contact our intake hotline at 336-703-ABUSE or 336-703-2287.

Temporarily Suspended Services

The following services are closed to the public until further notice: Onsite DNA testing, Services through The Employment Lab, Child Support Group Appointments and Program Integrity In-person Interviews are canceled and participants will be contacted by phone or US Mail.

TIPPS/MAPP Foster Parent training classes and Foster Parent Interest meetings


Beginning Tuesday, April 7, the Tax Department will no longer accept walk-in payments. Tax payments may be made 1) online, 2) through its 201 N. Chestnut Street dropbox, or 3) by appointment. To pay online, please click here: To make an appointment, please call (336) 703-2300.

You can research bills or pay bills online, view detailed property information for real estate, and access the Tax Parcel Viewer on the Tax Department’s website.

Payments can also be made over the phone by calling 1-877-215-0165. You will need to have your bill number and there is a convenience fee for payments over the phone. Payments can be mailed to Forsyth County Tax Collector, P.O. Box 82, Winston-Salem, NC 27102.

Residents can call the Tax Customer Care line at 336-703-2300. You can email requests for tax data to

Work with Us

Employment Opportunities

Job Opportunities

Volunteer Opportunities

Open Appointments List