Dixie Classic Fair

A "Temporary Food Establishment" (TFE) permit is required to sell food or drink at a special event. This permit is issued in conjunction with a fair, carnival, circus, public exhibition or other similar gathering that operates for a period of 21 days or less. Examples are the NC State Fair, holiday festivals, traveling carnivals and special events.

Vendors who sell only dipped ice cream, shaved ice, popcorn, candied apples, cotton candy, funnel cakes, doughnuts, peanuts and commercially prepackaged chips and candy do not have to get an operational permit from this Department; however, vendors should contact the NC Department of Agriculture at 919-733-7366 to determine if a permit is needed from them.

Applications and payments for all TFE applications are ONLY accepted via postal mail or in person at Environmental Health Division, 799 N. Highland Avenue, Winston Salem, NC 27401. No over-the-phone, faxed, emailed, or online payments will be accepted. When submitting your application, you must include payment at the same time.


Educational Resources:

Rules & Regulations:

Employee Health Policy Agreement