- By April Bowman
- Posted Wednesday, June 8, 2016
NC Jr Beef Roundup Results
The NC Junior Beef Roundup is typically held the first weekend after Memorial Day at the NC State Fairgrounds. Participants participate in a variety of cattle related events. At the inaugural cattle judging competition on Friday, June 3rd, two Forsyth County 4-H members received awards. Nate Bowman received tenth place in the novice division and Lynae Bowman received fifth in the junior division.
On Saturday, exhibitors started their day as early as 4:30 AM to wash and blow dry their animals, feed them breakfast and give the cattle time to rest before the show began at 10 AM. LBSC Cowgirl Oakley Mae was selected as the Grand Champion of the All Other Breeds division. She was exhibited by Lynae Bowman. Prior to the show, an exhibitor's meeting was held where Mary Joe Hanes received the Forsyth County 4-H Volunteer of the Year award since she was unable to attend the official awards ceremony in May http://forsyth.cc/CES/article.aspx?NewsID=21340. During the show, exhibitors' were able to participate in a written skillathon test to determine their knowledge of cattle breeds, equipment, feeds and more.
The winners of the photography and graphic design contests were also announced during the show. Winners from Forsyth County were as follows:
- Name Placing Category Age
- Michelle Hartman 2nd Animals Junior
- Hannah King 1st Animals Intermediate
- Lynae Bowman 4th Animals Intermediate
- Aaron Jenkins 2nd Animals Senior
- Melanie Crews 4th Animals Senior
- Michelle Hartman 1st Landscape Junior
- Allison Hartman 2nd Landscape Intermediate
- David Winemiller 3rd Landscape Intermediate
- Aaron Jenkins 1st Landscape Senior
- Hope Arrowood 3rd Landscape Senior
- Melanie Crews 4th Landscape Senior
- Lynae Bowman 3rd People Intermediate
- Aaron Jenkins 1st People Senior
- Lynae Bowman 1st Graphic Design Intermediate
The first place winners received a $20 gift card. You can view their images at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskBdR3sv.
At the conclusion of the show, exhibitors could form teams of four and participate in the "Ultimate Heifer Make-over Challenge" aka the "Fitting Contest". Cattle had their hair worked, conditioned/oiled and were presented to a team of three judges for evaluation. The team of Noah Henson (Canton, NC), Kadence Overbee (Micro, NC), Mary Elaine Wood (Willow Springs, NC) and Lynae Bowman (Germanton, NC) emerged as the top overall team.
On Sunday morning, exhibitors arrived at the barn to once again get their cattle ready to be presented. This time the pairs were evaluated on their showmanship and how well they worked together as a team. In the Senior age group, Emily Young, of Stokes County, was selected as the Grand Champion. In the Intermediate age group, Lynae Bowman, was named Champion.
Throughout the weekend, everyone received points for every event that they participated in. Those points are then totaled and the exhibitor with the highest number of points this year was Lynae Bowman of Germanton. Lynae received a $500 college scholarship that will be available when she graduates high school to attend the college of her choice. This is Lynae's third time winning this award.
Photographs from the weekend may be viewed at:
Forsyth County Farm Bureau served as one of the sponsors of the event. Additional sponsors included (listed in order by the amount donated):
- North Carolina Cattlemen's Association
- Farm Credit Associations of North Carolina (including Carolina Farm Credit)
- NC Department of Agriculture
- Stanly County and Harward Brothers Livestock Markets
- NC Junior Angus Association
- Kent Nutrition Group
- Southern States
- Allen's Drugs, Inc.
- Blakes' Feed & Hay, LLC
- Lexington Large Animal Medicine & Surgery
- Pasture Management Systems, Inc.
- Performance Livestock and Feed Company
- NC Junior Hereford Association
- RDD Auction, LLC (Dale Dunn)
- P Bar J Scenic Farm (Perry and Doris Teeter)
- Red Angus Association of the Carolinas
- Rocky Creek Veterinary Service
- Wilson County Livestock Association, Inc.
- Sullivan Farms, Inc., Lucama
- The Hawk Farm, Danbury
- Ashland Feed Store
- Browns Farm Ridge
- Caldwell County Cattlemen's Association
- Carolina Sand, Inc.
- Custom Enterprises of Lenoir, Inc.
- Dedmon Shorthorns
- Hardrock Beef Cattle
- Heritage Farm Supply, LLC
- Cattlemen's Association of Johnston County, Inc.
- NC Angus Association
- Old Red Barn Farm
- Wayne County Cattlemen's Association
- Custom Assemblies, Inc./Pecan Farm
- Mitchell Soil & Water Conservation District
- Johnson's Fleet Service
- The Kiser Agency, Inc./Nationwide Insurance
- Realo Discount Drugs