- By Todd Luck
- Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2022
Forsyth DSS Rental Assistance application deadline is June 15, 2022
The Forsyth County Department of Social Services (DSS) will accept rental assistance applications through June 15, 2022.
The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) offers assistance to pay rent and utility bills, including electricity, water and sewer, natural gas, propane, and internet. The U.S. Department of Treasury established ERAP to assist with housing and utility expenses in order to prevent evictions due to the pandemic. Based on the volume of applications received, DSS projects that it’ll have enough applications by mid-June to deplete all its remaining ERAP funds. Therefore, submitted applications will be processed depending on the program priorities, until funding is depleted. Please check the status of your application by logging into your application through forsyth.cc/ERAP, by calling, or coming into the ERAP Lab to ensure your application submits before June 15, 2022. You will receive communication via email if we need any additional documents.
Residents can apply at Forsyth.cc/ERAP or by calling 336-703-3700. They can also schedule an appointment on the website for assistance filling out the application, or they can visit Forsyth DSS, 741 N. Highland Avenue in Winston-Salem, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Information on income requirements can be found on the website.
To qualify for assistance, residents must:
- Have incurred significant costs or financial hardships due to COVID-19.
- Have a household income 80 percent or less of area median income.
- Be behind in utility or rent payments.
- Be named on a lease or utility account.
- Qualify for unemployment OR be a household experienced a reduction in income through furlough or reduction in hours due to COVID-19.
Priority areas for assistance are households with an income of 50% or less of Area Median Income, households that have been unemployed for 90 days or more due to COVID-19 and households with a court eviction pending.
Required documentation to apply for the program include:
- Current driver’s license or government-issued ID for all adults in the household.
- All pages of the renter’s signed lease agreement.
- Statement of financial hardship due to COVID-19 like a termination email or letter, proof of unemployment or other documentation.
- Proof of income for all household members.
- Eviction notice or late rental payment notice.
- Utility statements showing past due amount in renter’s name.
- Documentation of other federal assistance received, if any.
The City of Winston-Salem and Forsyth DSS received a combined $26.7 million in ERAP funds that they began distributing in April 2021. City of Winston-Salem distributed its $11.7 million in ERAP funds by December 2021. Forsyth DSS has distributed $14.9 million. So far, the ERAP funds have helped 5,055 households in Forsyth County.